Professional Services Learning & Development
One of the biggest issues confronting professional service firms is how to transform their technically brilliant subject specialists – lawyers, accountants, actuaries, insolvency practitioners, engineers, consultants – into outstanding well-rounded leaders who grow the practice.
Firms often struggle to provide their most talented people with the opportunities to develop their professional leadership skills such as; knowing when to lead & manage, developing business, building relationships, motivating, coaching and developing diverse teams.
How we help
We have developed a program specifically for improving the skills and performance of senior talent within professional service firms.
This program is called “The Leading Edge”. Designed to run over 10 months, this enables participants to deeply embed the practical learning and deliver real value to themselves and the firm. It incorporates one-on-one coaching sessions, group learning, practical on-the-job application and rigorous monitoring and measurement.
Participants emerge from the program with the following skills and awareness:
- Understanding when to manage and lead and how to increase the effectiveness of both.
- Enhanced self-awareness and a plan to build on strengths and areas of development.
- How to set standards of performance and hold people accountable.
- Understanding and capitalising on inevitable change, thinking ahead.
- How to build and enhance sustainable trusted relationships with existing and new clients.
- The ability to structure clear and concise communications (both verbal and written)
- Knowing how to build a strong personal brand.
- Taking responsibility for ongoing development throughout their careers by becoming a self-directed learner.
- Developing a defined personal career path.
- Diversity – its importance internally and with clients.
The Leading Edge is conducted as an internal program for medium to larger firms or for smaller/niche professional firms as a multi-firm program. The next multi-firm program is commencing in March 2017. These programs have the advantage of drawing together talented people from a broad cross-section of professional disciplines.
Below are some of the results achieved so far by participants.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate your team – recorded as 44% average improvement
- Ability and confidence with business development to win assignments from new clients – recorded as 39% improvement
- Ability to cross sell other services / practice areas to clients – recorded as 38% improvement
- Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate others (stakeholders) – recorded as 36% improvement
I thoroughly enjoyed the program – and have seen a clear change in myself and the way I approach and think about things.
I enjoyed and benefited from so many aspects of the program, diversity of content, different engagement styles (breakfasts, day sessions, 1:1′s, the open, honest feedback.
The program has given me clarity, expanded my thoughts & ideas and helped provide further depth in my career view.
It has generally made me more enthusiastic about embracing future challenges.
Chris Reardon, Ex PWC Tax Partner, now executive and Leadership Coach. Chris’s passion is working with clients focused on improving performance by developing, adapting and tailoring programs to increase engagement through building professional skills. These skills include leadership, effective communication, trusted client relationships, a holistic approach to life balance and long term career planning.
Chris has completed a Psychology (Grad Dip), and is the lead facilitator within The Leading Edge program.
June Parker is Co-founder of Selection Partners. She is an Executive & Transition Coach, plus program facilitator. June thrives on helping people unlock their potential by uncovering what may have held them back in the past and developing skills and behaviours to move forward in a new and empowering manner. June has worked with Professional services firms as a coach for over 10 years.
June holds a post grad in Leadership, is a qualified career coach and is ICF and CDAA accredited.